Band leader Jeff Rupert heads Jazz studies at the University of Central Florida. With his outstanding reputation and the manner in which he captivates the audience, it's no surprise he is a long-time member of Sam Rivers' band, with a recent performance and recording at Lincoln Center, for Ed Bradley's Jazz from Lincoln Center broadcast on NPR. Jeff has been a featured soloist at the Chicago Blues festival, the Monterrey Jazz Festival, the Montreux Jazz festival, as well as numerous other festivals throughout the world.
Head to Magnolia Square from 4 – 7 p.m. as we celebrate another season of great Jazz.
• The 35th annual Sanford Golden Age Games began Saturday with the archery competition held at the Historic Sanford Memorial Stadium.
The games pick up again Saturday with track and field and horseshoes. The rest of the events – bowling, golf, tennis, table tennis and swimming – will be held Nov. 9-12. For more information call the Sanford Senior Center.
• Yoga lovers, this is for you. Every year the American Breast Cancer Foundation produces a Central Florida Firefighter calendar to raise money for breast cancer research. You're invited to The Pink Ribbon Yoga for the Cure event at Satori Yogashala on Sunday from 1 to 3 p.m., where you will be joined by some of Central Florida's bravest, who have been featured in the annual calendar.
Yoga class fee is $20 with all of the proceeds benefitting the American Breast Cancer Foundation.
Calendars will also be sold at the studio for $10. This class will be athletic and challenging. Please RSVP with Debra at firstname.lastname@example.org. Satori Yogashala is at 115 South Magnolia Ave.
• Nov. 12 – Alive After 5 (Theme: Seafood Harvest)
• Dec. 4 – Christmas in the Square, Magnolia Square
• Dec. 5 – Annual Illuminated Christmas Parade, 1st Street
To see other activities around town, check out “Events” on www.sanfordfl.gov. Barbi Bauman, one of Sanford’s special events coordinators, can be reached at 407-688-5004, or email@example.com.