This month’s theme is Tropical Nights so make sure you bring your party hat and wear your best tropical shirt. Featured this month is the Junkanoo Band, a showcase for Bahamian culture and an entertaining street parade.
There will be steel drums performing on stage while the much-fringed and elaborate costumed performers will be strolling 1st Street.
Wear your tropical shirt in to The Sanford Herald office between 5 and 6 p.m. and you may be included in a photo layout in the following weekend's edition.
Visit the Welcome Center website or call 407-302-2586 for details.
• Groovy man, it’s a costume party! On Saturday, come to Little Fish Huge Pond for a Woodstock celebration beginning at 4 p.m. with live music at 9 p.m. featuring Lucky Livingstons, Honey Henny Lime and others. Come dressed in your best Woodstock threads to 309 1st St.
• Seminole Cyclists will be sponsoring a "Bicycle Poker Run" event to benefit the Young Survival Coalition.
Beginning at St John's Cycle shop at 116 Palmetto Ave. at 8 a.m. on Saturday, the 62-mile bike ride will stop at local cycle shops before ending back at Sanford Wine Company. Registration is $50 and there will be live music, food and prizes. Online registration is available at www.seminolecyclist.org.
The YSC is the only international organization of breast cancer survivors and supporters dedicated to the critical concerns and issues unique to women affected by breast cancer. The goal for this event is to educate the community about young women and breast health while raising money for the Young Survival Coalition.
• Join Dog Day Afternoon on Sunday for Peanut's Bark Mitzvah and Pet Blessing, a fun and spiritual event to celebrate our pets and benefit the SPCA of Central Florida. Service by Rabbi Josh Sherwin (all faiths welcome) Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at event, $5 for children and seniors.
Includes doggie and human desserts from Paw Park Place and Creations by Chef Aaron, doggie games and human and dog toast! Gift bags for the first 100 doggies.
• Mystery Book Club readers: August’s book is “Rules by Deception” by Christopher Reich.
The next meeting is Aug. 27 at 6:30 p.m. at First United Methodist Church on Park Ave. If you enjoy mysteries, come join them for lively discussions and refreshments. Contact Norma at email@example.com for more info.
• Aug. 21 is the next Cinema in the Park at 8:30 PM. The movie will be Disney’s Enchanted.
• Aug. 22 is the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock Celebration in the Courtyard at Sanford Wine Company, featuring the band My Generation.
To see other activities around town, check out “Events” on www.sanfordfl.gov. Barbi Bauman, one of Sanford’s special events coordinators, can be reached at 407-688-5004, or firstname.lastname@example.org.