By Tommy Vincent
This Saturday, April 26, join the Sanford Kiwanis Club for the 44th annual Pancake Breakfast at the Sanford Civic Center.
The breakfast will take place from 8 a.m. to noon and take out is available.
The meal donation is $5 per person. Tickets can be be purchased through any Kiwanis Club member or at the door.
There will be a silent auction and the money raised will fund the many local programs to which the club contributes.
Sanford Breakfast Rotary Club — 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Colonial Room Restaurant in downtown Sanford.
The Sanford Rotary Club — noon Monday, meets at the Sanford Chamber of Commerce at First Street and Sanford Avenue.
Rotary Club of Seminole County South — Fridays at 7:30 a.m. at Rolling Hills Country Club in Longwood.
Seminole Sunrise Kiwanis Club — 7 a.m. Friday, Colonial Room Restaurant in downtown Sanford.
Sanford Kiwanis Club — Noon Tuesday, Colonial Room Restaurant in downtown Sanford.
Woman’s Club of Sanford — 1st Wednesday of each month from October through June, at the Woman’s Club Clubhouse, 309 S. Oak Avenue in Sanford.
Sanford Lodge #62, F&AM — 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month at the Masonic Lodge, 212 N. Park Avenue in Sanford.
Garden Club of Sanford — The Bromeliad Society: 2 p.m. 3rd Sunday of each month; The Jacaranda Circle: 7 p.m. first Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.; The Wildflower Circle: 10 a.m. second Thursday of each month from September through May. All meetings are at the club facility at 200 Fairmont Drive in Sanford.
American Legion Auxiliary Post #53 – 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at American Legion Post #53, 2874 S. Sanford Avenue.
Fleet Reserve and Fleet Reserve Ladies Auxiliary — 6 p.m. second Monday of each month, at Fleet Reserve, 3040 West SR-46 in Sanford.
Longwood-Lake Mary Lions Club — first and third Tuesdays at 7 p.m. The Longwood-Lake Mary Branch Club meets on the 4th Saturday at 8 a.m. For information on locations for either of these events phone 407-699-7776.
Newcomers of Central Florida — third Thursday of each month. For further information the organization, meetings or locations, phone Betty Anderson at 407-482-4413.
Optimist Club of Sanford – each Wednesday at 12 noon, at Colonial Room in downtown Sanford. For information phone 407-323-2194.
The Geneva Village Homemakers — 10 a.m. second Wednesday of the month at Geneva Community Center.
The Sanford Historical Society meets the fourth Thursday of alternate months beginning in January. Most meetings are held at the Sanford Museum, 520 E. First St. Call 407-302-1000.
Sanford Christian Sharing Center – 1:30 p.m. third Wednesday of each month at 515 E. 25th Street in Sanford.
Christian Women’s Club – Meets on the second Thursday of the month at Maison & Jardin Restaurant in Altamonte Springs. Phone 407-681-1942 for information and time.
Seminole Spokes — A nonprofit ladies social club dedicated to welcoming newcomers and women in transition to learn more about the area and meet new friends. (Meetings will resume in September) For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sanford Lakeside Lions Club — First and third Mondays at 6:30 p.m. at Big Boys Restaurant. Call Lion Dave at 407-330-5238.
Sweetwater Oaks Garden Club — 9:30 a.m. second Monday of each month from September through May at 9:30 a.m. at Sweetwater Community Center, 810 Fox Valley Drive, Longwood.
Nar-Anon Support Group - meets every Wednesday at 8 p.m. at South Seminole Hospital Behavior Center, 555 W. SR-434 in Longwood. For more information phone 407-325-6483.
Society of St. Vincent dePaul — meets Mondays at 7 p.m. in the white house, corner of West. Ninth Street and Myrtle Avenue in Sanford. Assists the poor. Call 407-330-4400.
Golden Voices Toastmasters Club - meets Monday evenings from 6:30 until 7:30 p.m. at Renaissance Retirement Community, 300 W. Airport Road in Sanford. For information phone Deliah Terranova at 407-323-7306.
Lake Mary Women’s Club – meets 3rd Wednesday at Sanford Garden Club, 200 Fairmont Drive. For information phone Kathy Harris at 407-797-5169.
Florida A&M Alumni Seminole County Chapter — meets 2nd Saturday of each month at 2 p.m. at the Dr. Velma Williams Community Resource Center. Call 407-330-1762.
To be included, send an e-mail to email@example.com, call 407-322-2611, or write to The Herald at P.O. Box 1667, Sanford, FL 32772-1667.
Richard Deno, 38, of Florida Street, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 17 for charges of domestic battery. He was fighting with his brother at their residence.
Assault and Battery
• Leroy Ervin, 52, of Logan Heights Circle, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 16 for charges of simple battery and crimes against a public servant. He punched his friend in the mouth and during his arrest he was verbally harassing one of the officers.
Child Neglect or Abuse
• Cynthia Joan Lash, 43, of Springview Drive, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 14 for charges of child neglect without great harm. An anonymous person reported that Lash’s 14-year-old child was being raised in unlivable conditions. Police searched Lash’s home and found several bongs, a pipe, and a spoon containing cocaine residue. The house was filthy and covered with animal urine and feces from a dog living in her home.
• Raymond Lebron, 37, of South Elm Street, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 15 for charges of possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana. He was pulled over for rolling through several stop signs. Before the officer began a canine search, Lebron admitted to having two dime bags of marijuana. He was also arrested for violating probation.
• Catherine Joie Beebe, 19, of Holly Avenue, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 16 for charges of possession of narcotic equipment. She asked a police officer for a ride. He said no and then asked if she had a crack pipe. She stated yes. Case closed.
• Carlton Waynel Manning, 30, of Vardon Avenue, Deltona, was arrested by Sanford police on April 4 for charges of possession of marijuana. He was pulled over for having a broken taillight. A canine search found several burnt marijuana cigars and seeds.
• Tommie L. Toliver, 24, of West 12th Street, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 13 for charges of possession of cocaine with the intent to sell and possession of marijuana. He was standing with a group of other males near West 12th Street and Pecan Avenue. He admitted they had been smoking marijuana; upon search, the officer found a bag of crack cocaine and a razor blade.
• Osben Jaramillo, 25, of St. Johns Parkway, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 14 for charge s of driving with a suspended license and not having insurance. He was at fault in a traffic accident.
Burglary and Larceny
• Tracey Towers, a 48-year-old homeless man, was arrested by Sanford police on April 17 for charges of petty larceny after being caught shoplifting at Kangaroo Express on East 25th Street.
• Jeffery Scott Maynard, 56, of Pine Avenue, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 17 for charges of petty larceny. He was caught stealing a birdhouse and two bags of clothing from behind Goodwill on East Palmetto Avenue.
• Sanford police officers arrested four people connected to a retail theft incident: Debbie Louise Chavers, 44, and Frank T. Chavers, 47, both of West 5th Street, Sanford; Gina Daugherty, 34, of Lincoln Avenue, Sanford; and Vernon Sims, 41, of East 7th Street, Sanford. They were all arrested on South Orlando Drive after being caught shoplifting together and fleeing in one car, police said.
• Mary R. Carter, 45, of Pecan Avenue, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 16 for charges of retail theft after being caught shoplifting at Wal-mart on Rinehart Road.
• Amanda Michelle Howington, 19, of Clairmont Avenue, Sanford, and Cayla Anna Luangratkhamkeo, 19, of Alder Court, Sanford, were arrested for charges of shoplifting at Kohl’s on Rinehart Road.
• Thomas Peter Ward, a 52-year-old homeless man, was arrested by Sanford police on April 15 for charges of having an open container of alcohol in public near Interstate 4 and State Road 46. He had an open can of beer.
• Cornelius C. Jones, 20, of Water Street, Sanford, was arrested by Sanford police on April 17 for charges of resisting an officer and loitering. He was in front of a business at night and was putting something into his car while officers were searching for a stolen motorcycle. Jones ran when officers approached him.
Arrest made in pharmacy robberies
SANFORD — The Seminole County Sheriff’s Office arrested Jason Morse, 25, for a robbery that occurred on April 18 at the Albertson’s pharmacy located at 2381 W S.R. 434, in Longwood.
Morse was also charged for a robbery that occurred on March 30 at a Walgreen’s pharmacy located at 1201 S. International Pkwy., in Lake Mary.
In both incidents, deputies said, Morse approached a pharmacist, implied that he had a weapon and demanded Oxycotin.
OUT & ABOUT
Thursday, April 24
Woman’s Club of Sanford will host its Spring Luncheon and Fashion Show Fundraiser at 309 S. Oak Ave., Sanford, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. $20 donation goes to the club’s annual scholarship fund. Sassy Fashions will provide the fashions. There will be door prizes, food and a silent auction. Get tickets from Club members or call 407-415-6698.
Friday, April 25
The Small Business Development Center at Seminole Community College with the Seminole County Library System will celebrate National Small Business Week with a free workshop titled, “Entrepreneurial Drive? Do You Have What It Takes?” The workshop will be from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the Seminole County Public Library, 215 N. Oxford Road, Casselberry. No advance registration necessary.
Saturday, April 26
An Antique Appraisal Fair will take place at the Lake Mary Museum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The 44th annual Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast will take place from 8 a.m. to noon at the Sanford Civic Center. Donation $5. There will also be a merchandise mart, silent auction, bake sale, fresh produce, entertainment and music as well as door prizes and free balloons for the kids. Proceeds support about 19 local programs.
Free community Health and Safety Fair at Flea World on U.S. Highway 17-92 in Sanford from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 407-873-2474.
The Sanford Farmers’ Market every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Magnolia Square on First Street between Park and Palmetto avenues in downtown Sanford. Every third Saturday, catch The Possum Pickers performing.
Lake Mary Farmers’ Market every Saturday at Lake Mary City Hall, corner of Lake Mary Boulevard and Fourth Street from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Visit lakemaryfarmersmarket.com.
Thursday, May 1
Manners Through the Ages Exhibit will be displayed at the Lake Mary Museum all month.
Community United Methodist Church celebrates the 57th Annual National Day of Prayer at 7:15 a.m. Visit www.casselberrychurch.org or call 407-831-3777.
Saturday, May 3
Sergey Pavlov presents his one man comedy show called the “LaLaLa Show” at the Helen Stairs Theatre in Sanford at 7:30 p.m. Fun for the whole family. Tickets $22 VIP; $18 orchestra; $16 balcony; $12 child/senior. Call 407-321-8111.
The Mid-Florida Milers Walking Club will walk at Kelly Park in Apopka starting at 9 a.m. No charge. Visit www.midfloridamilers.org.
THE SANFORD HERALD
"Serving Seminole County since 1908"
Published every Wednesday and Sunday by
Seminole Newspapers Inc. • 300 North French Avenue, Sanford, FL 32771
Phone 407-322-2611 • Fax 407-323-9408
Periodical Postage Paid at Sanford, Florida and additional mailing offices.
Postmaster: Send address changes to
The SANFORD HERALD
P.O. Box 1667
Sanford, FL 32772-1667
3 Months in Seminole County $11.00
6 Months in Seminole County $20.00
1 Year in Seminole County $36.00
1 Year Other Florida County $42.00
1 Year Out Of State $52.00
Seminole Newspapers Inc.
Steven E. Paradis, Publisher
Roxzie Lavender, Advertising Manager
Wanda Kourpanidis, Circulation Manager
We welcome and encourage your letters and
comments. All letters must include your name, address and phone number to be published.
Write to us:
300 N. French Ave.
Sanford, FL 32771