The Lightning was led by stellar performances both on the mound and at the plate en route to a six-game winning streak. The DeLand Suns remain near the top of the Florida League standings in second place thanks to a solid week. The Suns continued their winning ways against the Sanford River Rats. DeLand has won all five contests against the Rats this year. The Orlando Monarchs now sit in third place in the standings after a 3-1 record this week. Their only loss came at the hands of the River Rats, who scored seven runs in the final two innings to eclipse a six-run deficit.
Here are this week's Player and Pitcher of the Week Awards:
Player of the Week _ Jason Matusik, Leesburg Lightning (Lynn)
* Matusik leads the FCSL in batting average over the past seven days, batting .520. He has reached base 15 times in 27 plate appearances over the last week. Matusik leads the league over the past week in hits (13), doubles (4), home runs (3) and runs batted in (8). He also has led the FCSL in slugging percentage (1.04) and OPS (1.596).
Pitcher of the Week _ Nick Kovacs, Leesburg Lightning (Palm Beach Atlantic)
* Kovacs pitched seven innings against the DeLand Suns on June 19, scattering three hits and giving up only one unearned run. He struck out seven and walked one against the Suns. Kovacs also pitched two scoreless innings in relief against Winter Park on June 17. Kovacs recorded a 1-0 record in 9.0 IP. He allowed just three hits and no earned runs while striking out eight.
Other Team Player/Pitcher of Week:
DeLand Suns _ Player: Kevin Lindheim (Stetson); Pitcher: Brett Mueller (Rollins).
Orlando Freedom _ Player: TJ Hoelzer (Montevallo); Pitcher: Aaron Slegers (Indiana).
Orlando Monarchs _ Player: Blake Prince (Seminole State); Pitcher: Tyrone Miller (St. Leo).
Sanford River Rats _ Player: Daniel Seeba (USC-Upstate); Pitcher: Gabe Rivera (Florida Gulf Coast).
Winter Park Diamond Dawgs _ Player: Michael Basil (Indiana); Pitcher: Michael Sylvestri (Florida Atlantic).
Because of the continued problems associated with Tropical Storm Debby, only the DeLand Suns at Winter Park Diamond Dawgs was still set to be played on Tuesday.
Here is a list of the upcoming games:
* DeLand Suns @ Orlando Monarchs _ $1 Hot Dog Night, Kayam Hot Dogs.
* Sanford River Rats @ Winter Park Diamond Dawgs _ $1 Hot Dog Night, Kayam Hot Dogs.
* Orlando Freedom @ Leesburg Lightning.
Thursday, June 28:
* Doubleheader beginning at 4 p.m. at Historic Sanford Memorial Stadium: Winter Park Diamond Dawgs versus Sanford River Rats _ Thirsty Thursday, $1 Yeungling Beers.
* Leesburg Lightning @ Orlando Monarchs _ Thirsty Thursday, $1 Yeungling Beers.
* DeLand Suns @ Orlando Freedom.
Friday, June 29:
* Orlando Freedom @ DeLand Suns.
* Orlando Monarchs @ Sanford River Rats.
* Leesburg Lightning @ Winter Park Diamond Dawgs.
Saturday, June 30:
* Leesburg Lightning @ Sanford River Rats.
* Orlando Freedom @ Winter Park Diamond Dawgs.
* DeLand Suns @ Orlando Monarchs.
Monday, July 2:
* Winter Park Diamond Dawgs @ Orlando Freedom.
The Florida League VIP All-Star Experience _ The Florida League would like to give YOU the All-Star treatment during the 2012 Florida League All-Star game on July 17 at Historic Sanford Memorial Stadium. Over the next few weeks, we will pick 10 winners from our Florida League Facebook page to take part in the 2012 Florida League VIP All-Star Experience.
To take part in the contest, visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/floridaleague and 'like' our page. Once the page reaches 1,000 fans, we will begin picking our lucky winners.
During the 2012 All-Star game, each of our winners will receive the following:
* Free Ale House Meal Deal Ticket _ Includes: admission plus chicken sandwich, hamburger, or zingers with french fries and the world famous Captain Jack's Buried Treasure Dessert.
* Reserved seating at Historic Sanford Memorial Stadium.
* Dugout access during the Home Run Derby.
* Photo with the All-Star teams.
* Florida League baseball for autographs.
For more information on the Florida League VIP All-Star Experience, visit us at www.floridaleague.com or call 321-206-9174.