The art contest garnered more than 60 entries this year and awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd places and honorable mentions in the senior and junior division. The senior division was for high school and college and the junior division was for middle school.
The contest was open to any art student in Seminole County. Students could use any art medium, but had to theme their work around a historic building within the city limits of Sanford.
The purpose of the art contest is to develop a permanent art library of Sanford’s historic buildings as a way to enrich the community, promote the city’s history and foster the development of local art students.
This year’s winners in the senior division were:
• 1st Place, $150 – Rain Bitton, Lake Brantley High School, Junior
• 2nd Place, $100 – Kendra Davis, Lake Brantley High School, Senior
• 3rd Place, $50 – Wenona Alex Frankwich, Lake Brantley High School, Senior
• Honorable mention – Francesca Calabrese, Lake Brantley High School, Junior
• Honorable mention – Taylor Ferguson, Lake Mary High School, Junior
• Honorable mention – Erwyn Pozo, Lake Brantley High School, Senior
This year’s winners in the junior division were:
• 1st Place, $100 – Moeko Takahashi, Markham Woods Middle School, 6th Grade
• 2nd Place, $50 – Lauren Otero, Markham Woods Middle School, 7th Grade
• 3rd Place, $25 – Pratysha Anumala, Sanford Middle School, 8th Grade
• Honorable Mention – Veronica Perez, Markham Woods Middle School, 7th Grade
The winners were announced Dec. 9 at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center during the “Sights and Sounds of the Season” show.