• Winter Festival Around the World was the theme of holiday celebration of the Midway Boys & Girls Club of Central Florida. The songs of the holiday were sung by the Safe Harbor Choir under the direction of Ivy Maxwell. The Midway community programmers had their arts and crafts on display. Ann Hampton is the instructor of the senior group.
• The Westside Sanford Boys & Girls Club held its Christmas tree celebration on Dec. 15. Santa Claus rode in on his “bicycle” with gifts and toys for all of the kids. Each child took a picture with Santa. Students recited poems, the high school youth sang carols and the dances were performed by the step team.
• Amvet Post 17 visited the Lake Mary Rehabilitation Center to share Christmas cheer with the residents. The residents were treated to a light lunch, a drink and gifts. Special thanks goes to the Amvets of Sanford.
• A second annual free Christmas dinner was held Saturday at River Walk Christian Academy gym. More than 100 homeless were fed by Linda Pearson, who says that at one time she was homeless and needed help.
She looks forward to helping others in their time of need. The program to entertain was given with the theme, “Love one another; Giving thanks to God.” The guests were entertained by the “Expressly You Drama Team,” a selection by Dasha Wright, and a poem by Nikiesha Pearson. Praise dance was by Angela Moore.
Minister Elizabeth Hill spoke to the group from Psalm 100:4. Minister Amanda Stokes spoke to the group from John 15:17. Special appearance was by “Grandma Pearson,” who spoke of her love of people and her love for the homeless as she expressed to all her thanks to God for his many blessings to her and her family.
The Community Choir under the direction of Ministers Marlowe and Vincent Smith and Brother De`Quan Wright, will be in concert on Friday, Christmas Eve, at 8 p.m. at St. Mathews Missionary Baptist Church in Midway. The Rev. Leonard L.J. Wilson is the Pastor.
• The AMF Altamonte Lanes Blind Bowling League, “One Desire,” sponsored a Christmas Bowling Party for the boys and girls of Boy and Girls Town. The youth enjoyed two games of bowling, food and gifts given by the blind bowlers. The following bowlers supported the Christmas gathering: president Christopher Ball; vice president, Michael Collins; secretary, Yvonne Grey; LaVoine Bevel, Malik Bevel, Bill Corbett, Lawanda Feldsteen, Maria Dinacola, Dwayne Grey, Stephanie Pozar, Ken Pleuss, Carolyn Pleuss, Maria Quintanelli, Tammie Sharp, Joan Singley, Robert Weiss and Joanne Whitley. The boys and girls expressed how pleased they were to have been given the opportunity to spend the day with the bowlers. Grey said the league has decided to “adopt” the kids as their mascots.