Sonner said he last heard from Zimmerman on Sunday in a text message.
“It’s just been the last couple of days that we lost contact,” said Sonner. “But I can’t keep talking to the media and saying ‘Yeah, I’m representing George Zimmerman,’ when I don’t know.”
Sonner and Uhrig went on to say they had never seen Zimmerman in person, but did confirm he is in the country, but out of the State of Florida.
They said Zimmerman has gone outside of the two’s advice, speaking with reporters off the record and even calling Special Prosecutor Angela Corey’s office directly on Tuesday.
Commenting on Zimmerman’s mental capacity, Uhrig stated this has been a “corrosive process,” and he believes Zimmerman is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
“We’re concerned for his emotional and physical safety,” said Uhrig. “We hope the best for George Zimmerman.”
Uhrig added he did not believe Zimmerman would harm himself.
Oddly enough, just Monday Zimmerman broke his silence about the Trayvon Martin case after more than six weeks through a website he created at TheRealGeorgeZimmerman.com.
Zimmerman, who claims he shot and killed 17-year-old Martin in self-defense Feb. 26., has remained in hiding since the incident due to death threats.
Sonner said he initially helped Zimmerman’s father set up a different website, and later had to confirm the TheRealGeorgeZimmerman.com belonged to his client.
This was the first hint towards the apparent break between the client and attorney.
On the homepage of the website Zimmerman wrote, “On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life.”
The sole purpose of the website, Zimmerman wrote, is to solicit money for his defense fund – a scheme others have been using without turning the money over to him, he stated.
People hoping to donate to the fund can use a Paypal option at the bottom of the page, which Sonner has also confirmed Tuesday will go to Zimmerman and his family.
Sonner said he has remained in contact with Zimmerman’s father and spoke to him Tuesday morning.
As of Tuesday – just one day after the page’s creation – Zimmerman had posted an update reading, “I am attempting to respond to each and everyone of my supporters personally. The support has been overwhelming in volume and strength. I thank you all and ask that you permit me the time to respond to each one of you personally.”
Zimmerman’s creation of the site came the same day Corey, who has been assigned by Governor Rick Scott to handle the case, announced she would not use the grand jury to hear evidence in the case. A grand jury was previously scheduled to convene on Tuesday.
Corey has not indicated whether or not Zimmerman will be charged with a crime. The decision not to use the grand jury, the State Attorney’s Office said, “should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case.”
Late Tuesday evening the State Attorney's Office sent a notice to media stating new information in the Martin case would be released in a press conference within the next 72 hours.
Corey did not say what the new information would be and said the conference would be held in either Sanford or Jacksonville.
Many groups are still calling for the arrest of Zimmerman including a coalition of student protesters who forced the Sanford Police Department to close on Monday as they blocked the front entrance to the building.
Sanford city officials announced the reopening of the police department Monday evening when the group, called the Dream Defenders, ended their 5-hour demonstration where they also called for the firing of City Manager Norton Bonaparte Jr. and former Police Chief Bill Lee Jr.
Prior to the group’s departure, Bonaparte and Acting Police Chief Darren Scott met with members of the Dream Defenders and community leaders. They decided to hold a community meeting Thursday, April 19 at 6:30 p.m. to discuss plans for healing the City of Sanford.
During the commission work session Monday afternoon, Bonaparte said a location or format for the meeting has not been decided on and is to be organized by the community.
He said, “We’ll be getting community input on what the citizens of Sanford feel is important as we go beyond the tragic situation of the death of Trayvon Martin.”